Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Three small things that make life easier

1. Neighborhood clean up program.
Twice a year, you can dump almost anything on the street in front of your house and city works will pick it up. It is awesome. It saves us a trip to the dump (which is way far away), plus, we don't even have a vehicle big or dirty enough to haul the stuff that will need dumping. I remember from our last stint here, people had some really impressive piles going. Then of course, there are tons of pick up trucks trolling the neighborhoods looking for treasures and you should see some of the things people fetch out of the heaps. Unfortunately the fall pick up is several weeks away and we already have a pile of stuff started on the side of the house.

2. Cheap parking.
You can park all day in downtown SLC for $3. Or you can valet your bike for free.


3. Hassle-free dealings with public services.
I called the DMV with a question that was not answered on the website. A real person answered 30 seconds after I went on hold and answered my questions politely. Not only did someone actually answer the phone, but he did not rudely tell me to look on the website then hang up, as I have experienced in a bigger city like Chicago.
Dealing with the gas and electric companies is similarly easy.
Even better, when I went to the DMV office this morning, an hour and a half after they opened, I was in and out with new plates for both cars within FIVE MINUTES. I'm not even kidding. I brought snacks and toys and books for Luke, planning for a long wait, but I guess I forgot that this is Utah!
With all the extra time this morning, I let Luke play with the plates, which he thought was cool.



No comments:

Post a Comment