Friday, August 13, 2010

Sneak peek: living room

Since our living room is almost all together I thought I'd share a couple of photos. The first one is the before shot, how it appeared when we bought and moved into the house. This week we painted it a light blue-gray. I actually wanted it a bit more on the gray side, but I think the color is a nice contrast with the dark wood floors and furniture.

We still need a simple rug under the coffee table and need to hang the remaining two blinds, but otherwise, it's almost there. HGTV would tell me that it needs long curtains in a bold, graphic pattern, and random stuff stacked up on the mantle and coffee table... but unfortunately that's not our style, so it's probably going to stay pretty understated.

Since we've never had two living areas before, everything in the room is new. The couch is from Ikea and --big shocker-- we had to put it together. It didn't occur to me when we bought it, that even their couches require self-assembly. Since it was too big for our car, I ordered home delivery and almost fell over when it arrived in eight pieces. But it was actually much simpler to assemble than some other Ikea items we've tackled (one dresser comes to mind). We bought the round coffee table in Vancouver several months ago to minimize sharp edges when Luke started cruising, so it's fairly new. And we recently picked up the two chairs and sideboard from a vintage shop here in SLC. Compared with similar items that we've seen in other cities, they were a steal, so we were excited to find them.

Oh yeah one thing-- do you think the painting over the fireplace looks too high? Keith thinks I hang pictures too low and I think he always hangs them too high. Guess who hung this one.





No comments:

Post a Comment