Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Beware the tipping mannequin

So, I took Luke with me into a women's clothing store today to look for Christmas gifts. While browsing a rack I felt something fall onto me and turned to find a mannequin, who promptly hit the floor. One of her arms fell off and was stuck in her blouse. It wasn't a shocker to find Luke standing behind the fallen model looking a little surprised.
Before I could even register what had happened, two older sales women were on the scene looking really annoyed (they must have scaled racks to get there so quickly).
I stood the mannequin back up and said "sorry about that... Luke - you can't touch these..." I was a little embarrassed. One of the sales women gave me a dirty look, while the other immediately started tending to the mannequin as though it was a real person who had been plowed over by a truck or punched in the face.

Meanwhile, I picked Luke up and moved him out of the way, feeling surprised that they didn't offer something kind like "is he ok?" or "are you ok?" or a "don't worry about it." No, there was none of that. In fact, at that moment a third sales woman came over and said (sounding concerned) "Is she ok?" SHE WAS REFERRING TO THE MANNEQUIN. I laughed out loud and carried Luke out of the store.

Here was my thought process as we left the store:
1. Do these women not have children / grandchildren?
2. It's not like Luke purposely threw a rock through the front window or puked on the floor or did something else that would have caused them expense or inconvenience. I'm sure worse accidents have been caused by adults in the store.
3. Get a life.
4. I don't like your store anyway.

1 comment:

  1. Steph- I just laughed out loud at this post! Hope you and the family are doing well! Annie passed this link onto me because I just started a photography blog. Congrats on your pregnancy! Kristen O'Brien Reimold

    ReplyDelete