Monday, November 22, 2010

Copycat

Over the past few days Luke has started mimicking, or repeating a few words and sounds. He doesn't even have very many words that he uses on a regular basis, so it was a bit shocking the first few times it happened.

For example:
1. When I lock the car door it makes three quick beeps. After I locked it, Luke said --in his tiny voice-- "beep, beep, beep."
2. Sometimes when Luke does something silly I call him, cuckoo or--the long version, cuck-a-munga. After calling him cuckoo yesterday, he smiled at me and said, with perfect clarity "cuckoo."
3. I've started trying to teach him manners, so when he wants something I say "can you say please?" And he repeats "Pea" It is very cute and I'm happy that he's catching on to this manners thing so far.

So anyway, the time has come that we really need to watch what we're saying, especially in moments of frustration. Like when he slammed a glass on the tile floor the other day and I yelled "SHIT!" ...then immediately realized that I need to stop using bad words before shit becomes one of the 10 words in his 17-month old vocabulary.

No comments:

Post a Comment