Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Triumphant in the toddler bed


It appears that my bit of worry about Luke's transition to a toddler bed was unnecessary. He has taken to it pretty well and I must say, I'm shocked.
Nap time on the first day (two days ago) was rough. He wailed for 30 minutes behind his closed door and then fell asleep on the floor beside it. I know this because once it was quiet up there I tried to peek in and couldn't open the door. Then he woke up with carpet impressions on his cheek.
That night we had friends over for dinner so kept him up late anyway, until he was so tired that he went down without a fight and didn't get out of the bed until the next morning. So, not a true test.

Yesterday was day two of the toddler bed challenge and he took to it like a pro! No issue at nap time, though I did give him a bottle of milk to help him drift off. And last night we put him down--still a little late--but without much drama.

So I've been heaping tons of positive reinforcement on him for sleeping in his big boy bed and giving him a treat here and there. It actually feels a little like I'm training a dog or something!

Of course, I'm still worried about him using all of that freedom to climb around in his room (like up on the bookcase near the window, as he did yesterday), or up and over the gate atop the stairs, so I removed chairs and other climb-able objects from his room and the hallway as a preventative measure.

Obviously we're very proud of the little guy. Moving from a crib to a toddler bed is a pretty big step in the brief life of an 18-month old, and he's handling it like a champ.

No comments:

Post a Comment