Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Divide and conquer


Last night Keith got home from work a little early, which was a treat. He got to play with Luke while I made dinner. That was also a big treat because Luke's new favorite thing to do is pull himself up on my leg and squak to be picked up. This often happens while I'm doing something non-baby-friendly, like using a knife or working on a hot stove, etc. And the other day while doing this he even pulled my pants down!

So since Keith was home and entertaining Luke, I took advantage of the situation.
First, I sent them out on some errands so I could have a few quiet moments. It was nice outside so I positioned this as a fun father-son walk.
Then I had Keith feed Luke dinner, which was positioned as a bonding activity.
Then, I suggested that it would be fun for them to pick out Luke's PJs together, and put them on (I don't look forward to changing him these days, since he wriggles around so much)... oh, and might as well change his diaper while they're at it.
After all of that was done, we noticed an unpleasant smell coming from Luke's diaper. "WHAT?!" Keith exclaimed, "I JUST changed him!"
"Yup," I replied. "So, do you want to finish making dinner or change him again?" I asked, offering him a choice of tasks. I do this sometimes -- when I have more than one less-than-spectacular thing that needs doing, I'll offer him a choice. He usually says he wants neither so I just assign one to him :-)

Anyway, so Keith looks at the boiling water on the stove and says "I'll pick dinner."
"Ok," I said "so finish cooking this and this, then wash that pan in the sink and empty the dishwasher."
"WHAT?" He says "I thought I'd just man the boiling water"
Um, no.
So he opted for diaper duty, and as he walked out of the kitchen with Luke he mumbled "I always lose."

And as the finale, he actually volunteered to put Luke down to bed. And I must admit, it was very smooth... much smoother than when I do it.

I wish Keith could get home early every night!

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see you have learned the fine art of mind trickery! Note on wiggly little ones during diaper changes. Lie them on the floor, sit on the floor in front of them and place one foot over each shoulder, thereby pinning the little dude down. Works like a charm, just like the option of emptying dishwasher vs. diaper change!

    ReplyDelete