Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The No era

Yesterday I realized that we've begun the era of saying "No" to Luke, like all the time.
This struck me after about the 100th time I said it to him yesterday. It takes different forms - the stern "NO Luke"... the "No Lukey baby"... or the "NO! NO! NO!"
Then there's the "That's not for you", or the customary "That's dirty, No" when he goes after the toilet, garbage pail, or various other filthy places like the parking garage floor.
Of course there's the "that's dangerous", which he obviously doesn't understand or care about.

Straying from the No theme a little, there's the "get away from there" which I usually begin with Please, but by the third time in a row, the please is gone.
Anyway, what a bummer that there are just so many things that he wants to do but can't or shouldn't right now.
The little guy probably thinks I'm a total bitch for saying No all the time!
Maybe some day he'll thank me for keeping him safe. But then again, as Keith said the other night when I wondered this aloud, "when have you ever thanked your parents for saying No or keeping you safe or giving birth to you?"
I guess I've never thanked them for those exact things, so I shouldn't expect that Luke will either :-)

Totally unrelated, Luke has been napping for longer than usual so I just peeked in his room and he's peacefully snoozing in his usual and favorite position:
It's funny because that's the way I like to sleep too. Must be hereditary. And he has proven for months now that he's fine sleeping on his belly, so at least I won't say "No" to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment